Tuesday, January 8, 2008

only one

One of the best ways to keep resolutions I reckon is ... to tell EVERYONE about em'. Trust me, folks love reminding you of what you're NOT doing. Try it and you'll see how much they love you and want to see you succeed. (They really do.*ahem.)

I made a four lettered resolution: G-R-O-W. To grow and mature into a better son, brother, staff, colleague, leader, friend and citizen. In a span of 1 year? I'll try and you...keep laughing.

Quoting the famous words of Ps.Alex The Great : "that you may GROW one year wiser, one year more fruitful..etc."Amusing, ear tickling and cliché: growth speaks of life; more importantly living life to the full. Someone else once said, "LIFE.. live it to the full, not like a fool." I was talking to this friend of mine about music and bands, one of my passions in life, and the conversation led to.. "The way to GROW big in Malaysia in the music scene is to...sing Malay songs. Look at Pop Shuvit."

It's a tough call and a fine line between selling out and meeting the needs of your target audience. Pop Shuvit, they're a great band,no denying that. They're doing what works for them. It's an inevitable fact that  Malay tunes get the masses and probably gets you air play.  Yet, it all boils down to success - what is it really at the end of the day? If we're headed down that road and actually make it, whoa - fame, fortune and influence. It's all good. 

reality check: I'm on a different road. 

To me..it's the songs. Have our songs impacted lives? Have we imparted hope? As a band, do we live these songs and spur others to live their potential? Do we point others towards the right direction? Stripped down and in plain text, it looks simple.

Simplicity is at the core. Success and fame seem to be the perfect acid test on the integrity of it all. With every success story, comes pride and glory. A football team rejoices as they score the winning goal. The crowd goes wild. The players 'hail' their hero. They head back into the showers. The fans go back home. Bravo. The team begins training for their next game.

The headlines read, "Gerrard saves the day!". Indeed. But, he couldn't have done it on his own. Even if he could dribble past the entire opposing squad, to be on the field, he needed to be in a TEAM. The presence of his fellow teammates made it possible. The coach pieced the team together. Liverpool FC footed the funds for the player and their coach...and it goes on. I love Liverpool. Interestingly enough, their tagline reads "You'll never walk alone." They just wouldn't allow Gerrard to take all the glory.

"Pride comes before a fall" - Success, fame and all that adds to the name often comes before pride. What do I have to sacrifice to get there? What's a no-compromise? Wow. That's really a whole load to think about. "If you want to dream, dream BIG."

I've always wanted to see the 'big picture' of my life. Where I'm supposed to be in the next 2 years. Who's the 'one' ? Something I caught recently, which serves as a great reminder that is... to Bring In God(B.I.G) into the picture. I'll focus on the GROWing, and He 'll bring the increase.




No comments: