Sunday, July 15, 2007

more than meets the eye - influence

Life Party hit it off well on REWIND, but for now...I'd love to sink myself in a hot tub and click the PAUSE button. Just one of those days, I guess. I know I'm gonna get boo-ed and dunked into some trash can, but the TRANSFORMERS fad just gets me to literally Laugh Out Loud. Don't get me wrong, I love Transformers - its the people that are driving me nuts.

Seriously. Watching 20-30 year olds having a conversation about the movie & its origins, the ringtones and mp3s, the wallpapers, the T-shirts, the merchandise...it's intriguing. We ain't that far from the first caveman discovering fire. We're easily amused, but maybe that's a good thing! Someone who walks out of the cinema muttering "alright lah"deserves to be repeatedly punched in the face for trying to be different or for just having bad taste. [Hope that convinced you that I'm a fan of the robots]

Being old-fashioned suddenly ain't so bad after all. We just have to spunk it up a li'l by giving it a cool name : RETRO , create some hype and ... RETRO is IN! Amazing huh? Bet the older folks never saw this coming, else e-bay would be flooded with 'mint-condition' perishables. Oh wait, maybe the e-bay thing was their idea. Man, they're a brilliant bunch.

Recalling a conversation with Ps.Kenneth the other day, he brought up an excellent point - 'Someone had to say it was IN', or 'cool'. The power of influence. Paris Hilton could make a purse or handbag a girl's next To-Buy-List, even though in a practical sense..you could only fit a couple of dollars into it - which then again would fit perfectly into pockets in your jeans. So in fact, you actually don't need the purse, but it's cool. Again, fashion statements are great, but blame Paris for the rising victims of snatch thieves. Wearing "Bling" achieves its purpose in capturing everyone's attention...everyone ;)

Influence - I guess it's a lot like sugar. You could coat nearly anything & everything & make em' taste sweet. But whether it tastes good, that's a whole other story. What influences me? Who influences me? Who do I influence? What sort of influence am I?

Just talking about sugar gets me all high and hungry. Where's the nearest Dunkin' Donuts again?



No comments: